Request a Consultation
Lawyers meeting

I was Involved in a Crash With an Uninsured Driver

Posted on September 19, 2022 in

Unfortunately, a significant percentage of drivers on the roadway in Colorado are uninsured. When an accident occurs with an uninsured driver, the process of recovering compensation can become more challenging. Here, we want to review the steps that you can take after being involved in a crash with an uninsured driver to help ensure that you recover the compensation you need.

Call the Police

The number one step that you need to take right after an accident occurs is to call the police to ensure that they are on the way to the scene. Let the dispatcher know what happened so they can get all of the proper first responders moving in your direction. No matter what the other driver says to you, even if they want to handle the claim without involving insurance carriers, you need to make sure the police come to the scene so they can fill out an accident report.

If you leave before the police can fill out an accident report, this opens you up to too much liability. The other parties involved could later say that you were the one to cause the accident, even if you didn’t.

Exchange Information

You need to exchange all information that you can with the other party involved. Let the other driver have your insurance information, even if they are uninsured. You need to get their contact information as well, even if they do not have insurance. If the other driver is hostile in any way, let the police handle this situation. The other driver’s contact information will be on the accident report.

Go to the Doctor

You need to go to the doctor to be evaluated for any injuries right after a crash occurs. Even if you do not feel much pain, still go to the doctor to be checked out. In many cases, the signs and symptoms of accident injuries appear hours or even days after the collision occurs, but failing to go to the doctor right away could jeopardize any claim you do make.

Check Your Insurance Policy

You need to report the accident to your insurance carrier. You do not have to go into detail when you give your first report to your carrier. Just let them know that the incident occurred, that you are seeking treatment for your injuries, and that the other driver does not have insurance. Examine your policy to see if you have uninsured motorist coverage. If you do not have this type of coverage, we strongly encourage you to go ahead and add it to your policy, as this is the best way to ensure you recover compensation after an uninsured driver accident.

Personal Injury Lawsuit

In the event you do not have uninsured motorist coverage, or if your coverage does not pay for all of your expenses, you may need to file a civil personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault driver. Lawsuits can take some time, but this may be the only way that you will be able to recover complete compensation for your losses. When you file a lawsuit against another party, they may have to pay out of their own assets if your claim is successful.

Call our Denver car accident attorneys today.